Are you looking for the perfect bathrobe? Fantastic! We think that everyone deserves a comfortable and stylish high quality robe. We have gathered the best tips on how you can choose the right type of dressing gown / bathrobe – regardless of whether you are going to enjoy it yourself or give it to someone as a gift.
A luxurious dressing gown is an investment that you can use and enjoy every day. Therefore, choose a variant that suits you and your needs. There are bathrobes made from different materials and with different detailing and patterns to choose from depending on when you are going to use it, and whether you are feeling warm or cold.
In this guide, we have collected the best advice on how to choose the right bathrobe, and we have broken it down into these following areas:
- Bathrobe material guide
- Finding the right size
- Choosing design and color
- Buying a bathrobe as a gift
- Best price and quality for bathrobes
- Guide: Buying bathrobes online
Bathrobe material guide
Dressing gowns and bathrobes come in a variety of materials and qualities, and it can be difficult knowing what to choose. Here you can read up on the pros and cons of different material types, including both natural and synthetic ones.
This guide contains the most common materials for dressing gowns such as cotton, linen, silk and more. We go through the pros and cons of the various materials to make it easy for you to choose the right bathrobe for your needs.
Pelle Vävare’s range of high quality bathrobes are only available in the natural material cotton and linen. We have opted out of synthetic materials such as polyester and fleece since they are bad for the environment.
Cotton is a natural product that is grown in many countries around the world, mainly in Asia, Africa and America. It is one of the most used materials in textile production. It is soft, durable and has good breathability, making it a popular choice for clothing and textiles. Cotton can be woven in different ways to create fabrics with different texture and feel. Depending on the quality of the cotton and how the fabric is woven, cotton bathrobes can feel very different.
Cotton terry is a woven cotton fabric consisting of loops. It is soft and absorbent and is often used to make towels, bathrobes and bath sheets.
- Pros: Warming but breathable at the same time. Absorbs water well. Soft and comfortable against the skin. Easy to wash and dry. Affordable.
- Cons: May shrink when washed. Not as durable as microfiber, linen or silk.
Velour is a type of terry where the loops have been cut to create a softer fabric. The cut velour is always on the outer layer, which gives a luxurious, soft surface with a lovely shine, while the inside is soft and just as absorbent as regular terry. A velour bathrobe should be tumble-dried to keep the same feel and softness after washing.
- Pros: Soft and comfortable against the skin. Gives an elegant feel. Often more durable than cotton terry. Good for winter use as it retains heat.
- Cons: Can get cold during summer. Harder to wash and dry. More expensive than other materials.
Waffle cotton is a type of waffle woven (checkered) cotton fabric which is thinner and lighter. A cotton waffle bathrobe is thin and cool, but the waffle fabric can shrink. Pelle Vävare does not currently have any bathrobes in waffled cotton.
- Pros: Soft and comfortable against the skin. Easy to wash and dry. Good durability. Retains heat well.
- Cons: Can feel heavy or thick. Not as formable as other materials. Often more expensive than cotton terry.
Organic cotton is environmentally friendly, produced under better working conditions and often has a higher quality than traditional cotton. Choose an organic cotton bathrobe and look out for certifications such as OEKO-TEX Standard 100, which show that the product is free from harmful substances and pesticides.
All bathrobes from Pelle Vävare are OEKO-TEX certified.
Linen is a traditional natural material produced from the flax plant. Linen is strong and has a beautiful texture. Linen fabric has a high absorbency and hardly shrinks when washed. A linen bathrobe feels light and cool against the skin, it’s compact when you’re traveling and it becomes more comfortable the more you use it. Linen robes are especially popular to use in the summer.
- Pros: Airy, cool and comfortable to the skin. Can be washed and dried without losing its shape or quality. Repellant to dirt and doesn’t require to be washed as often
- Cons: Important to follow washing instructions to maintain shape and color. Linen often requires ironing to maintain its smooth surface. More expensive than other materials.
Pelle Vävare’s dressing gowns are made from 100% washed linen of very high quality. Our linen dressing gowns are certified with OEKO-TEX Standard 100, which shows that the product is free of harmful substances and pesticides.
Silk is a natural material made from the threads spun by silkworms for their cocoons. China has a long tradition of producing silk and most silk fabrics come from there. Bathrobes and kimonos made of silk are particularly common in China and other parts of Asia.
- Pros: Soft and smooth feeling. Airy, cool and partly temperature regulating. Elegant and beautiful appearance.
- Cons: Expensive. Delicate material that needs special care and washing. Wrinkles easily.
Bathrobes made of wool and cashmere
Wool is a natural material consisting of fibers from animal hair. Merino wool comes from sheep, cashmere comes from goat, while angora wool comes from rabbit. Wool from alpaca and llama is also common. Bathrobes often consist of different wool blends.
- Pros: Retains heat, but is still airy. Resistant to stains.
- Cons: Requires special washing. Can feel a little rough and sticky. Becomes static. Some people find it a disadvantage that wool comes from animals.
Polyester is one of the most common synthetic textile materials and is made from oil. Polyester is durable and dries quickly, but it does not breathe very well. A polyester bathrobe has a large environmental impact, partly because the fabric is manufactured using strong chemicals that end up in nature, partly because the polyester bathrobe can contain microplastics that are flushed into the sea when washed.
- Pros: Inexpensive. Easy care. Withstands high temperatures.
- Cons: Does not feel very soft, does not breathe very well which means it can be perceived as hot and sweaty, needs to be washed often, can become static. Not environmentally friendly from both a manufacturing and washing perspective.
Fleece and microfleece bathrobes
Fleece is a textile material with a rough surface, which makes the fabric airy and heat-insulating. Fleece fabric can be made of polyester, acrylic, cotton, wool – or a mixture of different materials. There is also fleece made from plastic from recycled PET bottles. Microfleece is manufactured in the same way as regular fleece, but from thin fibers, so-called microfibres, which results in a thinner material. There are fleece dressing gowns from different materials and with different properties.
- Pros: Retains heat. Easy to care for. Cheap.
- Cons: Doesn’t feel very soft. Less breathable and can become static. Contains plastic fibers that have a very negative environmental impact. Small plastic particles (microplastics) come loose during washing and cannot be captured by the treatment plants, and are instead released into lakes and oceans. Does not withstand high heat and therefore should not be ironed, washed or dried at high temperatures.
Viscose and lyocell bathrobes
Viscose and lyocell are two textile materials that are made from cellulose from trees, often spruce. They are flexible and soft materials that are often used for bathrobes, but which unfortunately can have a high environmental impact because strong and harmful chemicals are used in production. Lyocell is generally considered to be less harmful to the environment than viscose.
- Pros: Soft and smooth feel. Cheap. Easy to care for. Durable.
- Cons: Poor breathability. Not very warm. Can get static. Both viscose and lyocell can shrink a bit when washing.
Think about the environment! Choose only dressing gowns that are made from environmentally certified viscose or lyocell.
Buying a bathrobe in the right size
A good bathrobe is not only made of a high-quality material, it is also important that it has the right size and fit. But bathrobes of different qualities have different fits, which can make it tricky to choose a size when shopping online. Start by checking if there is a size guide from the manufacturer and follow their measurements and recommendations to find the right size (below is more information about Pelle Vävare’s size guide for dressing gowns).
- Follow the manufacturer’s size guide: To find the right size, we recommend that you measure your body and compare it to the size guide.
- Choose a larger size: When you want extra space and comfort. Some materials shrink more when washed, and in these cases larger size may be needed. Also, synthetic material breathes poorly and a larger size may be needed to avoid getting too hot and sweaty.
Pelle Vävare’s bathrobes shrink 3-5% in the first wash. In our size guide, the measurements of the dressing gowns are given before washing, so it may be appropriate to go up a size if your measurements are close to the stated measurements for a size.
Pelle Vävare’s size chart
In our size chart for bathrobes (both cotton and linen robes) you find dimensions for gown length, sleeve length, chest size as well as the width at the bottom of the robe. The measurements are for unwashed bathrobes, keep in mind that they shrink 3-5% in the first wash.
Our bathrobes are available in both women’s and men’s sizes. Women’s sizes come in XS, S, M, L and XL. Men’s sizes come in S, M, L, XL, XXL and XXXL.
Read more! Size guide bathrobes >>
Choosing design and color
When choosing patterns and colors for your new bathrobe, you should be thinking long-term – would you prefer a classic pattern with subtle colors that you will still appreciate long into the future, rather than cool and ultra-modern patterns and color combinations that you will quickly lose interest in? Pelle Vävare has a large assortment of timeless bathrobes in well-loved patterns that can be appreciated during a long time, without feeling boring.
Which design should you choose?
When it comes to design and details, you should choose a bathrobe that perfectly suits your needs. Here are three things you should bare in mind before buying a new robe:
- Cold/warm – depending on whether you are feeling warm or cold, different designs will work differently. For those who are more chilly, a longer, thicker bathrobe that also warms your legs is a good choice. For those of you who are warmer, a thinner, shorter design would be a better choice.
- Bathrobes with pockets – it is often practical to have pockets in your dressing gown and bathrobe. Check if your robe has pockets and that they are the right size for your needs. Note: All our dressing gowns for adults have pockets and even an inside pocket!
- Bathrobes with or without a hood – we have robes with and without hoods. For some, a bathrobe with a hood is important, while for others it’s just something that gets in the way. Think about whether you will use a hood or not.
What color should your bathrobe be?
Since a bathrobe is a garment you will use frequently and for a long time, it is important to choose a bathrobe in shades you really like, rather than trendy, modern colors that you risk getting bored of.
Pelle Vävare’s color scheme has subdued, classic colors; our single-color bathrobes are available in:
- White – a fresh, classic color that will never be out of fashion.
- Dark blue – a deep dark blue color that will remind you of the sea. Blue symbolizes wisdom, security and trust and is said to stimulate clear thinking.
- Dark green & hazy green – soft shades of green that are reminiscent of nature. Green symbolizes calmness, harmony and balance.
- Burgundy – deep burgundy and warm shades. Red is often associated with love, and is considered to have an activating and stimulating effect.
- Mist pink – a soft pink color, which is considered to have a calming and stimulating effect and which represents sympathy and friendship.
- Grey & Asphalt – neutral and elegant shades of gray that are both timeless and give the fabric a nice shimmer.
Buy an expensive or cheap bathrobe?
Dressing gowns and bathrobes are available at all price levels. It is normally the quality of the bathrobe that determines its price.
Most often, it is the quality of the dressing gown that determines the price. A more luxurious, high-quality bathrobe made from natural materials, available in a classic design, is normally more expensive than simpler, mass-produced bathrobes made from synthetic materials.
Bare in mind that the cheapest price does not automatically mean the lowest cost. A more expensive, higher quality bathrobe will often have a longer lifespan and as such is a better investment in the long run, since you won’t need to buy a new bathrobe as frequently.
Our bathrobes are designed to have a long lifespan and can be used time and again. We have a long tradition in textiles and never compromise on quality.
Find the best bathrobe
We know it can be difficult to choose the right bathrobe when there are so many options. That’s why we want to make it easier for you! Here we have collected our three most popular bathrobes for men and women. You can hardly go wrong with any of these. Relax and enjoy finding your new favorite bathrobe!
Best bathrobe – Women
- Women’s Bathrobe Torekov Dusk Rose – Our bestseller that has a soft pink color that works year after year.
- Women’s Bathrobe Torekov Dark Blue Long – Classic elegant dark blue color in the longer model for extra coziness.
- Women’s Bathrobe Möja Rose – For those who want to stand out a little, with a beautiful pattern that makes you happy every day.
Best bathrobe – Men
- Men’s Bathrobe Torekov Dark Blue – The obvious choice that suits everyone. A dark blue Torekov is never wrong.
- Men’s Bathrobe Seskarö Dark blue /Green /Cognac – A timeless pattern that makes it easier to get up in the morning.
- Men’s Bathrobe Koster Dark Blue / Orange /Grey – Classic colors with an accent color to keep it from being boring.
Buying a bathrobe as a gift
If you are going to buy a bathrobe as a gift, it is important to start with the recipient’s tastes and needs rather than your own preferences. Here are some tips and advice for what to think about before you buy a bathrobe as a gift:
- Terms of open purchases and returns: Make sure that the bathrobe can be exchanged or returned if it does not fit the recipient.
- Bathrobes for men: Birthdays, Christmas and Father’s Day are classic occasions to give a bathrobe as the perfect gift. A classic, high-quality model is often appreciated by dads and men of different ages.
- Bathrobes for women: A luxurious bathrobe is the perfect gift for your mum, sister, partner or friend who is celebrating their birthday or Mother’s Day. The vast majority of women appreciate bathrobes made of soft materials that are easy to look after and that come in neutral colors.
- Bathrobes for kids and teens: Both small kids and older teenagers love to snuggle up at home with a lovely bathrobe. Since kids and teens grow out of things quickly, you will need to buy a slightly larger size so that it will last longer.
Guide: Buying bathrobes online
Shopping for bathrobes online is smooth and convenient. When buying from Pelle Vävare, you can be sure that you are making a safe purchase.
When shopping for bathrobes online, it is important to check the following things:
- Payment & security – Double check that you are shopping at a reliable online store, for example by reading reviews from other customers or checking if the store is certified as a safe online store. You should also make sure that payment is made securely via bank/payment solutions like Klarna.
- Return policy – What options are available for open purchases and returns? At Pelle Vävare, we have the right of withdrawal within 14 days of your purchase.
- Delivery & shipping conditions – If you are shopping for bathrobes from international retailers, it is extra important to double check the shipping conditions: How quickly will your bathrobe be delivered? Will it be sent to your home or to a collection point? What are the shipping costs? At Pelle Vävare, we offer free shipping on all orders over SEK 500. We also have all of our bathrobes in stock in Sweden, which means we can quickly deliver your bathrobe to you.
- Terms and conditions – You should also read through other terms and conditions, so that you do not miss important information from the seller.